Sunday, May 13, 2007

We have arrived!

STUART: Day one of our African adventure is over. It started at the hectic Atlanta airport, took us to the Amsterdam airport, and here we are finally safe and sound at our headquarters near Mt. Kilimanjaro. It finally hit me that I was actually going to Africa when I stepped in line to check my bags at the airport. From airport to airport I remembered another item that I forgot to pack. In Atlanta it was a converter and in Amsterdam it was a document case. Each leg of the flight was about 8 hours. Most of us attempted to read on the plane but quickly passed out in a cramped and not so comfortable sleeping position. I felt like the only time I was awake was when the KLM stewardesses woke me up every hour to hand me another meal, snack, or beverage before passing out again. The flights weren’t bad, and the first one had plenty of movies to choose from. When we finally landed in Africa it was surreal. The fact that I was actually here was exciting. I wish it hadn’t been so dark out for our casual 40-minute bus ride so we could have actually seen the countryside and maybe an animal or two. Once we arrived, they had prepared us a snack of fresh fruit and wings. After eating one last time, we reported to our assigned rooms to settle in and try and get some rest.

No comments: