Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mzungu’s Unite

TESS: First full day in Dar es Salaam! As always we are well taken care of in a very nice hotel – no mosquito net, no bugs, AC and SHEETS! I wonder if I would feel the same if I stayed in the same hotel in the U.S. or if it is just in the context of where we are. It is crazy what we take for granted. I feel like we’re always being told to look at the big picture. Well, this is it. Africa is the big picture. Driving into Dar, this is definitely one of the nicest buildings on the block and not by just a little. The fact is, this hotel would be nice anywhere, but being here I’m definitely learning to appreciate the little things. The meals here are no different. The hotel breakfast was fantastic. First destination of the day: the Carver’s Market – Bargaining Round 3. Carvings, fabric, jewelry, if it is African and would look perfect in your living room, it’s there to buy. Bowls seemed to be the most popular purchase of the morning. In leadership development, we have been taught that knowing your weaknesses is as valuable, if not more, than being aware of your strengths. Well then, let me be the first to admit I cannot bargain. Jennifer and I tried to psych ourselves up too and I gave it my best shot. “Hapana bei ya mzungu.” – no foreign price… I was definitely getting the foreign price. Alex, on the other hand, really represented. One vendor didn’t believe he was from the states he bargained so well or tough rather. When I tried to outsource for better skills, the guy smiled and told Alex he couldn’t help me saying “be on my side, my friend.” Needless to say this time I got hapana bei ya mzungu. Mzungu’s unite. However, I will say a lesson was learned in the business skills of those vendors. They will pick up on any slight gesture that may show interest. If you so much as look at something, they immediately unfold the fabric or polish the carving and promise you they will “give you good price.” We still can’t figure out how some of these people get by. They all sell the same thing and they are all items that only a tourist would buy.

Speaking of thankful for the little things… After the market, we went to a museum that led us through model life-size houses of different Tanzanian tribes. It quickly showed me if you left me out in the wild I probably wouldn’t last the week. Lunch was in town, yet to venture trying exotic food. Never would have thought I’d eat at a pizza place called Debonair’s in Africa, sounds like a French place to me. Next stop: the fish market. Warning: do not try to take pictures, or at least not of the guys on the boats. Even though we were not really there to buy anything, a few of the stalls were selling shells and the vendors were extremely nice. I thought it was interesting that the sellers were not as forward as in the Carver’s Market. Maybe it was different because they don’t solely rely on tourist purchases for their income. With food and fish, they still have the locals. One vendor even took out a book completely in English and started telling us the English name for each kind of shell. While a very cool experience, we all definitely could have gone without the smell. During free time at the hotel, a few of us played a solid game of Marco Polo. After a delicious dinner, Dr. Gauthreaux challenged us as we go into this week to act as US ambassadors. As so many of the people here have been so nice and in many ways have shaped, even altered, the views I had previously, I hope I can do the same with proper respect and kindness. We have a great line-up this week with speakers. Everyone is very excited. Can’t believe it is already the second week.

EDITOR: Bear with us as we're having some internet challenges here in Dar... pictures have proven difficult to load. We're also a day behind due to internet outages at the hotel. But we'll work through it... thanks for reading!

5 comments:

jimp said...

Can't tell you how much i look forward to the blog every day. it is as if i am there with you. bailey, glad you shaved.

JFK said...

I'm not sure if Alex is a good negotiator as much as he is broke after all the wine he bought in Napa! I hope Austin hasn't finished it all while you are overseas!

Way to represent.

Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. You will be forever changed by this experience.

Unknown said...

okay mzungus, if y'all are holding your own in the marketplace these days, show me some proof in the next batch of photos. far as i can see, they must sell polos and sunglasses. perhaps a nice necklace or bowl?

jleigh said...

I am thoroughly enjoying keeping track of your experiences. Thanks for keeping us so well informed. Nash, I'm thinking about you everyday!

Mollie

deb said...

Everything sounds so interesting. It's like taking a trip without having to go. Jenn hope you are having a great time!!